SCOM 2012 SP1 – Configure Web Console HTTPS “500 – Internal server error”

Yesterday, I bumped into an issue while configuring https for the SCOM web console. As this is a IIS hosted website there is no magic configuring it. Well, I was taught something else. The SCOM environment was running on Windows Server 2012 and the SCOM 2012 SP1 had UR1 installed. Everything was running fine and smoothly even the web console was running fine over http. The customer requested to have the web console communicating over https.

If you have the web console configured to use http you have two choices. Either you reinstall the web console and select https when you are prompted or you modify the settings manually. I wanted to configure the https settings manually.

I requested the SSL certificate (internal), installed it on the web server and configured the bindings to use this certificate for https requests (port 443). In addition you need to configure the web.config file to use https. The file is located at C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\WebConsole\WebHost\web.config. I changed the following parameters in the file itself…

  • <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled=”false”/> (is set to true if you use http)
  • <endpoint address=”” binding=”customBinding” contract=”Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Presentation.Security.Services.ILogonService” bindingConfiguration=”DefaultHttpsBinding“/> (is set to DefaultHttpBinding if you use http)
  • <endpoint address=”” binding=”customBinding” contract=”Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Presentation.DataAccess.Server.IDataAccessService” bindingConfiguration=”DefaultHttpsBinding“/> (is set to DefaultHttpBinding if you use http)
  • In IIS Manager select the OperationsManager virtual directory, then SSL Settings and check “Require SSL” option and “Ignore” for the Client Certificates.

After that configuration changes, I restarted IIS to load the new settings.  I could open and login into the web console, but as soon I clicked onto a view I received the following error…

image

I tried every view, but always the same error occurred. After several troubleshooting steps, I decided to check for the updates. Because I had UR1 installed my other task was also to install UR3, because in UR2 there were many dashboard fixes to speed up the SCOM dashboards and console. Therefore I decided to install UR3 and see if this error still persists…

image

After retrying to query the web console using https, I needed to reconfigure the Silverlight plugin…

image

And after that update, the web console was working like a charm…

image

I hope this helps!

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: SCOM 2012 SP1 – Configure Web Console HTTPS “500 – Internal server error” - SysManBlog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s