SCOM – SQL Server Event ID 28005, AEM Wizard Runs Forever, Reporting Services Not Working

I like to automate things, creating batches and scripts. Well at least I like to create them myself and then I know what they do. In a small project I needed to install SCOM 2012 SP1 to show Agentless Exception Monitoring. Because larger environment need a managed way to install IT systems identically they often use some sort of preconfigured deployment or configuration script. I don’t like this kind of configuration, because as a consultant you never now what is going to happen in the background and you will run into trouble especially if it is something more difficult like SQL server.

For the SQL Server installation I used a batch file with preconfigured settings from the company to deploy SQL Server 2012 SP1. Everything worked fine and also the SCOM 2012 SP1 installation ran fine until I needed to install the reporting part.

Symptoms

By checking the reporting URL http://ReportServer/Reports and http://ReportServer/ReportServer first I ran into these errors…

image

…and…

image

I also checked the Application event log and found the error event 28005…

 image

Another strange thing was that the Client Monitoring Configuration Wizard was running forever and never ended…

image

Problem

After some checking the setup I found that SQL Server service and SQL Server Agent service is running under “Local System” which is not how it should be configured. At least SQL Server Agent account needs to be a domain user account.

Solution

1. First I changed the service accounts of the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent service to a domain user account. Just double click on the Windows service and go to the “Log on” tab. Enter your credentials and restart the services.

image

2. Log into your SQL server box and create a SQL server login for that service account which you used in step 1.

3. Open the properties of the just created SQL Server login account (which you created in step 2) in SQL Server management studio and configure the proper permissions like here…

image

image

image

image

4. Restart all SQL Services

Now the event 28005 disappears in the event log and also the Client Monitoring Configuration Wizard works as expected.

If you have SQL Server Reporting Services installed on the same box you will probably still have the errors if you call the URL http://ReportServer/Reports or http:/ReportServer/ReportServer . To fix this error I needed to reset the SSRS instance.

5. I copied the ResetSRS.exe to the from the SCOM 2012 SP1 source (\SupportTools\AMD64) to the SQL Server where SSRS was installed and ran the command…

ResetSRS.exe MSSQLSERVER

This command will reset your SQL Server Reporting Server instance to default. In my case I had the default instance MSSQLSERVER. Adjust this instance name to your instance configuration. Follow the instructions on the screen and then you will be informed when the reset is finished.

Now SQL Server Reporting Services should work and also the event 28005 should be gone forever.

1 Comment

  1. It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button!
    I’d certainly donate to this superb blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle
    for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google
    account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my Facebook
    group. Chat soon!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s