TechEd 2012 Orlando Download Sessions – Offline Viewing

I just spent two weeks holiday in Florida and got back right before TechEd in Orlando started. Sadly, I could not attend the event. Because I don’t want miss the latest news I decided to find a way to download the sessions. I slightly modified my script which I used to download the MMS 2012 Sessions.

At this very moment the event is still running and not all sessions are available yet. I am providing a sessions.txt file where all 506 sessions are listed and this file will be used for downloading the session files.

image

UPDATE 17.06.2012: If you change the .wmv extension in the sessions.txt file to .pptx the script will also download most of the Powerpoint slides as well.

Usage:

1. Download the TechEd2012Orlando_Downloader.zip file here. There you will also find a TechEd_NA_2012_session_listing.pdf file with all sessions listed and its corresponding code.
2. Extract the two files TechEd2012Orlando_Downloader.ps1 and sessions.txt to e.g. C:\TechEd2012.
3. In the script you must provide a user name and password. You can either create an account at http://northamerica.msteched.com/ or you can also use your Windows Live account.

image

4. In the script provide the user name and password and save your changes.

image

5. Next start a Powershell command shell and run the script by typing

.\TechEd2012Orlando_Downloader.ps1 D:

After the script name you have to provide the drive letter where the sessions will be saved in my case it is the D: drive.

6. A folder TechEd2012OrlandoSessions will be created and all available sessions will be stored in this folder.

image

If a session is not available a file sessions_notavailable.txt will be created in the script folder. In this file you will find all sessions which couldn’t be downloaded. Just rename the file to sessions.txt and start the script again. This way you can easily check later if the session is ready for downloading.

Have fun and let me know if you experience any problems…

About Stefan Roth

Consultant
This entry was posted in Script. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to TechEd 2012 Orlando Download Sessions – Offline Viewing

1. Pingback: Microsoft TechEd 2012 Orlando presentations online and how to download | UP2V

2. Pingback: Microsoft TechEd 2012 Orlando Sunumları « Hakan Yuksel Blog

3. Brian Geller says:

Hi,
    What tool did you use for the ascii art or was it by hand?
    Thanks,
    Brian Geller

• scomfaq says:

Hi Brian

I just used some ASCII art online generator, you can finde several on the internet. Just google or bing for “ascii art generator online”.

Regards,

Stefan

4. Benjamin says:

Great Script! Thanks a lot! Especially since I couldn’t make it to Orlando and won’t be at Amsterdam either.
    Found one Typo though: on the last header Write-Host line it says yello instead of yellow… not that it matters :-)
    Well now my line is busy for the next 40-some hours :-D

5. JR says:

is there anyway to pause the session an resume for later download?

6. Robert says:

How can the associated Powerpoint slides be downloaded automatically?

7. frenjon says:

Good stuff Stefan.. You should also add the .pptx files to the sessions.txt file IMO, but I guess it’s not that simple.. They seem to be on a very different URL..

-Jonas

• frenjon says:

Regarding the PowerPoint slidedecks – I just checked and it’s possible just to add the filename in the sessions.txt as so: EXL412.pptx :)

• scomfaq says:

Hi frenjon

Exactly, it downloads the Powerpoint files by changing the extension from .wmv to .pptx in the sessions.txt file.

Regards,

Stefan

8. Pingback: TechEd NA 2012 Lync Session Videos available, download them all with PowerShell | Lync'd Up

9. CHARO says:

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for the updated script!
    Could be possible to download the PowerPoint presentations for all videos as well?
    It could be awesome too!

Best regards,

10. Pingback: TechEd North America 2012 Sessions available now « Anything about IT

11. CHARO says:

Unfortunately, I was not able to download 224 presentations over 506.
    What could be the reason, in a different URL?
    Were someone able to download them?
    AAP202.pptx
    AAP204.pptx
    AAP302.pptx
    ……..

Regards,

12. Pingback: Sharepoint-Sessions von der Microsoft TechEd 2012 in Orlando zum Download | 360° Sharepoint Blog

13. Jared S. says:

Stefan, can you contact me about your script. I have a couple of changes I did and would like to publish them.

14. Good Morning Stefan (Here in Australia anyway!).
    I made one small modification to your script. As the downloads are very slow to here, I’ve had to restart the script multiple times which means it attempts to start at square 1 each time!

All I’ve done is replaced;

$wclient.DownloadFile($file,$download)

With;

if (Test-Path $download) {write-host “File: $download already exists”}
    else
    {$wclient.DownloadFile($file,$download) }

Thank you for a great script.

Richard Young

15. Brad says:

Thanks for making this available. I added the ability to download vids, pptx, or both. Check it out here. http://bradhuffman.com/wordpress/2012/06/21/teched-downloader-mashup-powershell-script/

16. CHARO says:

Dear Stefan,

Could you please update the script in order to download TechEd Europe as well (PPTX & WMV)?