MMS 2012 Download Sessions – Offline Viewing

Here I just created a script to download the MMS 2012 sessions for offline viewing Smiley.

There are few things you will need:

UPDATE (26.04.2012):

I uploaded the latest sessions.txt file to skydrive which I received from Eric. It contains 208 session names. I have not verified all sessions. I could download 165 Sessions. 43 sessions couldn’t be downloaded. Maybe give it a shot it is in a zip file called sessions_208.zip.

UPDATE (20.04.2012): Wow! I didn’t expect to get so many nice words and suggestions. As a result of this I improved the script an built in some error handling.
Download the zip file MMS2012_Downloader_V2.zip

Setup:

1. Copy the script file and the sessions.txt into the same directory!
  2. Add your credentials on top of the script. Nothing more to adjust!
  3. Call the script you just need to specify the path drive where you want to save the files e.g.

MMS2012_DownloaderV2.ps1 c:

A folder MMS2012Sessions will be created on c:\MMS2012Sessions

Improvements:

• I added the key note files into sessions.txt (credits to oclash)
  • Script checks for neccessary files and would write a meaningful error Smiley
  • Sessions which cannot be downloaded will be written out to a file in the script directory called sessions_notavailable.txt. You just can rename this file to sessions.txt and start the download again Zwinkerndes Smiley.

Create an account

Go to http://www.mms-2012.com/digitalmms and click…

image

and then going here…

image

I didn’t try facebook, twitter and other accounts in my script!

Script setup

After you copied the script and sessions.txt file e.g. to c:\temp, open the script and adjust the credentials, target path and where the sessions.txt file is located.  Then execute the script in Powershell…

The script looks like this….

image

At this moment I am just downloading session 29…some sessions are maybe not available yet as you can see here…

image

I did not test the script very extensively so please forgive me any errors.

If you wan to know which session talks about what and what is the name of the session, you can download the pdf from here.

Have fun!

About Stefan Roth

Consultant
This entry was posted in Script. Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to MMS 2012 Download Sessions – Offline Viewing

1. when i ran script i get this output:

Downloading Session…SV-IL307.wmv Number: 155 out of 155
    Exception calling “DownloadFile” with “2” argument(s): “An exception occurred during a WebClient request.”
    At C:\temp\MMS2012_Downloader.ps1:29 char:22
    + $wclient.DownloadFile <<<< ($file,$download)
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

2. Is there a script like this for the Powerpoints?

3. oclash says:

Awesome script.

BTW do you know the names of the keynote sessions?

4. oclash says:

Figured out the names….

Day 1 Keynote is KEY1.wmv
    Day 2 Keynote is KEY2.wmv

5. Rik van Berendonk - OGD says:

Works like a charm, thanks!
    B.T.W: if you get error “An exception occured during a webclient request” make sure you’ve specified the correct target folder to download the files to.
    I had specified a folder for it, but expected the script to automatically..create the subfolder,which it didn’t :)

• scomfaq says:

Hi Rik

Thank you!

I just updated the script to V2.

The reason I just didn’t built in some error handling was because it was 02:00 in the morning when I finished and anyway who needs error handling:).

Regards

Stefan

6. Pingback: MMS 2012 sessions online | UP2V

7. Kevin says:

Awesome! Thanks! FYI Some people may need to configure PS so the script runs: “set-executionpolicy remotesigned”

8. Pingback: Use PowerShell to automate downloading MMS 2012 Download Sessions

9. thojo says:

Nice script! wget for win32 works really well with a url list file

10. as I didn’t go to mms, this is great, any chance you can tweak it so it also downloads the pptx? that would be cool.

11. Kevin Greene says:

Nice post and script Stefan -well done, makes reviewing the sessions I missed at MMS all the more easier offline. Especially since we’re not getting a DVD this year with the recordings.

Thanks!

Kevin Greene.

12. Greg Gilbert says:

I’ve validated that it does work if you pass Windows Live ID credentials as the email and password.

13. BartPe says:

Downloading sessions… Thanks for this script!

14. Pingback: Download MMS 2012 Videos via PowerShell Script « Cloud Administrator

15. Pingback: MMS 2012 videos, wouldn’t it be nice to be able to download them all automagically | just another windows noob

16. Patrick Murphy says:

I think I broke it!

When I run the script it downloads all the files, but they’re only 3KB. I’m not receiving any errors, any idea of a fix?

Thanks!

• scomfaq says:

Hi Patrick

Sorry about the delay offically I am on vaccation :).

I haven’t heard of any problems so far. Have you tried to download other stuff from the internet using your browser? Does it work? Maybe some proxy/firewall/antivirus is causing the problem.

Let me know.

Regards,

Stefan

17. Nick Aquino says:

Awesome… just what I needed. Anyway it can be tweaked to get the powerpoints?

Quick modify so that you don’t have to hard-code your password:
    write-host “PLEASE ENTER YOUR PASSWORD (Don’t worry, it’s secure.)”
    $password = Read-Host -AsSecureString

18. Pingback: Downloading MMS 2012 Sessions for Viewing « « Chris Nackers BlogChris Nackers Blog

19. David says:

For all those asking about the Powerpoints. check out this post on MyITForum

But thanks for a great Script, it rocks.

20. Argh, am I doing something wrong? Or has something changed with the hosting of the videos? All I get is the following when I run the script for each of the sessions…
    Downloading Session…CD-IL320.wmv Number: 149 out of 157
    Session not available please check C:\MMS2012\sessions_notavailable.txt
    Downloading Session…SV-IL306.wmv Number: 156 out of 157
    Session not available please check C:\MMS2012\sessions_notavailable.txt
    Downloading Session…SV-IL307.wmv Number: 157 out of 157
    Session not available please check C:\MMS2012\sessions_notavailable.txt
    Finished!

It does not find any of the session videos, and thus downloads nothing.

Anyone else seeing this? Or am I missing something?

Thanks…

• scomfaq says:

Hi Mike
      Those sessions are probably not online yet. Maybe you have to try it later this week. You can verify the only sessions by visiting the MMS 2012 page on http://www.mms-2012.com/digitalmms.
      I just got a new sessions.txt file from Eric with more sessions. I will verify it and upload it tomorrow. Visit my blog for an update and I also will send a tweet :)

Regards,

Stefan

21. Erik says:

First off, thank you very much for the script. It was very helpful!

I’m a bit of a completest, so I compared your original Sessions.txt with the last official list from MMS and found about 34 more videos it downloaded. I’ve got the updated Sessions.txt, but I don’t have a way of getting it to you. :D

22. Andy Brand says:

hi, I have about 20-30 videos that wouldn’t download, has anyone else had any issues?

• scomfaq says:

Hi Andy

To generate my sessions.txt file I used the pdf guide which I put on skydrive. If you missed sessions I just uploaded a new sessions.txt file which I got from Eric. See my update post.

Regards,

Stefan

23. jorper98 says:

Stefan –
    GREAT script (not only because of the content, but also for the powershell lesson :-)

Many thanks!
    Jorge

24. Pingback: Couldn’t make MMS 2012 conference? « jorge pereira blog

25. Pingback: MMS2012 content available « Infrastructure Optimization

26. Pingback: Download MMS Sessions | SCSMfaq.ch

27. Pingback: Download MMS 2012 præsentationer « Microsoft infrastruktur

28. Pingback: Digital MMS–renaming the videos | Lars Norman Søndergaard

29. Pingback: Infraops Blog - MMS2012 content available

30. Pingback: MMS 2012: By the Twitter stats

31. Thanks a mil for the script. Can’t get the Instructor led labs though… :(

Were they removed or does anyone have an alternate link for them?

Regards
    Tom

32. Pingback: Microsoft Management Summit 2012 – What you missed - 4sysops

33. Pingback: Download TechNet Edge videos using Windows PowerShell « blog.powershell.no

34. Pingback: Download TechNet Edge videos using Windows PowerShell - Jan Egil`s blog on Microsoft Infrastructure

35. Pingback: ConfigMgr / SCCM 2012–Download MMS 2012 Configuration Manager Related Sessions « Anoop's

36. Pingback: ConfigMgr / SCCM 2012–Download MMS 2012 Configuration Manager Related Sessions

37. Thanks for the script! I improved on it slightly to get more meaningful flie names by using the session titles (created a file sessioncatalog.txt which I parsed from the MMS2012 web site).
    Hope it helps someone. You can find it here:

38. Pingback: Microsoft Management Summit 2012 – What you missed | Share Blog

39. Pingback: MMS 2012 stažení prezentací « Jan Matějka ve světě System Center

• scomfaq says:

Hi

You can not call the URL itself. Try to use the script to download the sessions.

I just verified that the script still works.

Regards,

Stefan

40. Thank you so much for this script!
    Is there any way to get the CD-IL videos? I cant’t find those anywhere, especially the CD-IL322 by Ben Hunter.

41. CHARO says:

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for the script, it saves me a lot of time…

Would be possible to do the same for TechEd 2012 after it is finish in Orlando / Amsterdam???

Regards,

42. CHARO says:

Thank you Stefan for your kind reply,

Unfortunately, I am not able to download 43 sessions from MMS 2012:
    SD-IL305.wmv
    SD-IL306.wmv
    SV-IL301.wmv
    SV-IL304.wmv
    SV-IL306.wmv
    SV-IL307.wmv

Were you able to download them?

43. Pingback: Sessions, Sessions, Sessions… | JohanPersson.nu

44. Aaron says:

Here is a list of 37 more videos I found after comparing what downloaded from the script to what’s posted on the site:

EC-B105.wmv
    SD-B390.wmv
    SD-B318.wmv
    SD-B317.wmv

45. Ricardo Soares says:

Congratulations! Very good.

46. Pingback: MSFAQ.SE » MMS 2013 Session Downloader

47. Pingback: Eswar Koneti's Blog » Blog Archive » Script to Download all MMS 2013 SCCM Configmgr 2012 Sessions

48. Pingback: MMS 2012 Take Away » DamianFlynn.com

49. Varun says:

Hi,
    Please let me know if there is any way to download the session now as the link http://www.mms-2012.com/digitalmms don’t seems to work anymore. Please advise.